Just another way of saying “if/then”,
“and”, “or”, “not”. I have to say, implication was the
most challenging. It's the odd one out of the group and I always
have to think of it in terms of the other three. We all grew up
saying “ands”, “nots” and “ors” but who grows up making
implications all the time? This helps me translate it into something I
am familiar with. Some of you might not agree, but “don't knock it
unless you've tried it”. Or is it “don't knock it if you haven't
tried it”? I was really surprised to see this broken down to “if
you've knocked it” it implies “you've tried it”. Seems like an
odd way of thinking. I had to decipher this problem using Venn
diagrams, sets, and complements before I was convinced. And then I
realized that the two “nots” in the original sentence created a
contra-positive to the final translation. I'll have to remember to
look at the lecture notes the next time I get stuck on a problem like
that. I'm sure they'll help with completing the assignment.
Negating expressions is not bad. The
concept seems fairly straightforward. Negation ties in very well
with verifying and falsifying universal and existential
quantification. Conjunction and disjunction was like a repeat of the
first two weeks of statistics which I am also taking this semester.
Actually, most of the stuff about sets was contained in there as
well. Of course we are taking a much more abstract approach. Have
you noticed that on Assignment 1 we only had one problem with numbers
and the rest was translating stuff to and from English? For the most
part these three alone are not a problem but when you combine them with
implication and make longer expressions it gets very confusing, even
with Venn diagrams.
Thank goodness we have the mighty truth
table! I can draw straight lines no problem, I have a ruler! But
circles freehand are not a walk in the park. Truth tables are great
for breaking down those larger problems into the smallest operation
to the point where all you have to do is think yes or no, true or
false, on or off. Yes I know, like a computer. With Venn diagrams
you almost had to solve the entire expression for every single region
just to know whether it was occupied or not. I look forward to doing
more work with truth tables and I'll have to keep Venn diagrams in my
back pocket (I doubt they're going to ask us whether Al makes more
than $60,000 on a test).
No comments:
Post a Comment